Wednesday, April 30, 2008

3G iPhone $199 -- Sold. Maybe

Checking teh tubes this morning, saw this article (Fortune).

AT&T is preparing to subsidize $200 of the cost of a new [3G] iPhone, bringing the price down to $199 for customers who sign two-year contracts, the source says.

That would easily put me over the edge. But then this:

The average iPhone user however, runs up a $100 tab each month due to the higher priced data and calling plan.

$100 would be a deal. With my current Blackberry voice & data plan, I end up paying ~ $150 a month. I suspect with better browsing capability, I would be paying far more.

The real kicker, however, is that I plan to leave my company which currently pays for everything. $1,800 a year to have YouTube, big maps, and voicemail as email is probably not worth it. I will probably kill my data plan, my world roaming plan, my international dial out plan, and my 900 min a month plan. I have 3,000 mins saved up--which could probably last me a year.

1 comments:

Tom said...

I was thinking the same thing - that would push me over the edge (hah, get it, edge network vs 3G, or is edge network the fast one by verizon, stop) - esp if it includes GPS this time around. Actually, just GPS would make me buy, so long as I can still get unlimited data for 60 bucks a month.